The Pros and Cons of Resistance Machines and Free Weights
Generally speaking, one is not “better” than the other in all instances. There are benefits and drawbacks to both machines and free weights, and some exercises tend to be more effective when done using one or the other.
When done properly we believe a balanced approach is the best.
• Easy to learn and use
• Isolate muscle groups more efficiently
* Allow you to train with heavier weights without assistance
• Beneficial for elderly populations and/or rehab
• Non-functional – Although machines will make you bigger and stronger, they don’t train complete human movement patterns
• Neglect smaller stabilizing muscles
• Allow you to train functional movements
• You can use full range of motion
• Place a greater demand on stabilizing muscles
• Allow for endless variation
• Takes some skill to learn proper technique. TSG provides FREE 30 min PT consultations
• Greater risk of injury when not done properly
Functional Cross Training (FCT)
To get Stronger and Leaner Athletic trainers and personal coaches agree it's cross training -- essentially, alternating your workout routines in a way that will increase your performance and overall fitness without stressing your body to the max.
The objective of FCT is to vary activities between aerobic conditioning, strength training, endurance, and balance -- you will need to vary the workouts that emphasize each one of those areas. With VFitPT we will guide, motivate and help every step of your way.
Designed by our team of professional trainers to inspire, guide and mentor you to reach your full potential. Each 30-minute session is designed to motivate and challenge every level of participant, from the novice to the advanced.
Our Dynamic FCT program has over 50+ videos incorporating body weight training and simple equipment you can use at the Gym or home.
Check back often as new FCT plans will be added frequently!